top of page

About Our Church

Verona Baptist Church was first organized in February 1944 at the home of Mr.& Mrs. Norman Foy. Present at the first service were Rev. J. C. Potter (who became the first Pastor) Robert Kennedy, Tom Lee Rochelle, Essie Rochelle, Johnnie Rochelle, Betty Rochelle, James Kennedy, Edna Kennedy, Norman and Anna Foy. 

The first clerk was Mrs. Edna Kennedy. The first treasurer was Mr. Norman Foy. He was also the first deacon and the first trustee. 

Services were first held in Mr. and Mrs. Foy`s home for about a month at which time they agreed to purchase a lot from Mr. Henry Sandlin. This lot was located about one half mile from the present location on Hwy 17 South in Verona. During this time good lumber could not be bought, however, they were able to purchase enough lumber (Government reject) to construct the first church which was about 20ft x 40ft. Danny Jenkins, Horton Justice, Arthur Parker, James Kennedy, Norman Foy and Bryant Pittman built the church. This building was used until February of 1947. 

In 1947 an old Chapel was purchased from Camp Davis. The lot on which the church was located traded for the present location. The first Pastor at the present location was Felix Jones. Services were in the evening. 

The church offerings in those days were only one and two dollars so the church sold hot dogs, barbecue, quilts, pies and cakes. On some days the hot dog stand would bring as much as $35.00 to $40.00. Also, during these times, the offerings were so small that Mr. Foy and Mr. Pittman would help pay the expenses. 

Sunday School rooms were added to the church in 1953. In 1960 additional 20ft was purchased from Mr. Foy for a parking area. 

The ladies Auxiliary was organized in 1945 by Mrs. Bessie Rhodes. In June of 1974 the construction of a fellowship hall began. In the years that would follow the church realize they needed a newer and larger church, and the Lord blessed that endeavor and today that has become a reality. To God be the Glory Great things he has done!

bottom of page